Thursday, August 19, 2010

back to the roots

as I see history repeating itself
I can't help but to ask myself:
can someone ever change?
can patterns from one's youth be replaced?
is it possible for us to let go of our past?
can we ever escape our destiny?
are our lives really determined when we're young?
does our teenage years set our personalities in stone?

when we are that age, we are out of control
we are what we become and we become what we are
we are shaped by the surroundings of our lives
all that we experience during that time is mostly new to us
so is it when life starts to repeat itself...
... that it is too late to change ourselves?

someone asks me:
"tell me three good things about yourself"
so I try to look at myself from above,
a different point of view.
and my answer is:
nothing.

Why is it that I can't reply?
Because I can never see myself objectively,
because I am a subject,
and I am the center of my own universe,
and I have to take care of myself,
because no one else will put me first,
and no one else does.

So I'm going back to where I came from,
whether I want it or not, or so it seems.
because no matter how much I try to fight it
I belong with my roots,
I can't seem to shake them off,
they belong to me and I to them.

what made me who I am?
what makes me ME ?
why do I want to change?
why do I want to run away?

it's too easy to stick to the roots.
I want a challenge and that is why I try to run.
but when I fail, what do I fall back on?
if I cut off my roots, I might be free,
but no one will ever catch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment